Businesses and individuals regularly ask the TDCA many questions about timber decking and cladding and so we have developed a list of frequently asked questions, to give you some useful answers to common queries. Of course, if your question is not listed here, please do get in touch and we'll help you with your query.
Frequently Asked Questions
Timber Decking Questions
- How do I clean the mess off my deck left by pigeons?
- What should I know about deck joists?
- How to clean decking: can I use a pressure washer?
- Deck design ideas: can I personalise my deck?
- How to install a deck: do I need professional help?
- Deck fixings – what do you recommend?
- What’s the difference between hardwood decking and softwood decking?
- Decking balustrade – should I have one?
- How long does a timber deck last?
- Deck maintenance – what should I do?
- Does treated timber vary in colour from one piece to another?
- Deck coating: mine is flaking off, what can I do?
- Will I have slippery decking in the winter?
- Does wood decking attract rats?
- Will grooved timber decking boards be less slippery than plain boards?
- Are treatments used in protecting softwood decking harmful in any way?
- Can I place plant pots and other objects on my decking?
- I want a hot tub on decking, what do I need to know?
- Decking costs: how much should I be paying?
- How can decking help with sustainable drainage systems?
- Is decking planning permission required?
- Resin is coming out of the timber, what can I do?
- Are there any publications about timber decking?
- Where can I see lots of deck images?
- Where can I find a list of decking suppliers?
- What decking finishes exist for me to choose from?
- Should grooved decking face up or down?
- What should I consider when thinking of deck lighting?
- I want to use sustainable timber for my deck. How do I ensure this?
- Should I use plastic sheeting to protect deck joists?
Timber Cladding Questions
- What is the difference between hardwood and softwood cladding?
- What Use Class should timber cladding be treated to?
- Should timber cladding be fire retardant treated?
- Can you paint or stain wooden cladding?