- This drawing is for horizontal cladding fixed to a timber framed structure. For masonry walls the same batten and cladding configuration is used.
- Batten size: Battens should be at least 2.0 times the thickness of the board.
- Treatment: Softwood battens shall be pre-treated by an industrial process in accordance with BS8417 for a BSEN335:1 Use Class 3 application - Wood Protection Association Commodity Specification Code: C6. This code is also referred to in NBS as Z12/120).
- Battens at 400mm centres should be used for diagonal cladding or where boards with high moisture content are to be used e.g. green oak.
- Where horizontal boards abut one another additional support shall be provided by a second batten that extends at least the width of one board either side of the abutting boards.
- A ventilation gap of at least 21mm shall be incorporated into the design to permit air circulation and unrestricted drainage of rainwater that penetrates the cladding. The more open the cladding joints then the width of the cavity shall be increased.
- Insect mesh shall be fitted to all cavity openings.